Fighting, biting, screaming and behaviours that challenge the people dealing with them, are often triggered by unsuitable surroundings or unrealistic demands. In this fresh and effective workshop, Scandinavian psychologist, Bo Hejlskov Elvén, shows how identifying and adapting these problem areas can dramatically improve behaviour in people with autism and other developmental disabilities.
This practical workshop explains how to reassess challenging behaviours and offers easy and effective strategies for eliciting positive responses without having to resort to punitive measures. Based on the successful Low Arousal Approach, Bo will present proven methods for stepping away from distress and towards calm, improving the quality of life of everyone involved. Helpful examples specific to the unique challenges of caring, teaching or working with, people on the Autistic spectrum will be discussed. Bo will show how positive changes can be achieved.
The workshop explores both the theory and practical methods of behaviour management using the successful Low Arousal Approach. Low arousal approaches are based on the notion that a person needs self-control in order to cooperate, and that self-control depends on successful affect regulation. The practical methods discussed are targeted at assisting the person with Autism to gain and maintain self- control in order to manage and minimise challenging behaviour. Some of the key content areas Bo will discuss include:
- Defining and conceptualising challenging behaviours: when is it difficult, when is it dangerous?
- Challenging behaviours are often triggered by unsuitable surroundings or unrealistic demands. How identifying and adapting these problem areas can dramatically improve behaviour
- The Low Arousal Approach: the theory and the application
- Ideas for managing affect regulation and techniques for regaining and keeping self-control
- Stress factors: the effect of situational stress factors including common warning signs, and protective and calming factors
- When conflict happens: effective techniques for re-establishing calm
Date: Monday, 26th February 2018 9am – 4pm
Venue: Easts Leagues Club, 40 Main Ave, Coorparoo, QLD, 4151
Cost: Super early bird price $199, name changes permitted
Registrations: Register online